Sunday, December 9, 2012

Reflection: A Horse and Two Goats

A Horse and Two Goats

A Horse and Two Goats is a short story written by R.K. Narayan.

It's about an old man named Muni, who lives in a small village in India. He is waiting around a statue of a horse for his sign to go home with his two goats when a car stops in front of him. 

An American man gets out of the car and attempts to converse with Muni in English, but being an Indian man living in a rural village, he couldn't understand him.

He does his best in attempting to understand the American, but due to a hilarious misinterpretation, the American thought that Muni was the owner of the horse statue and attempts to buy it off from him.

At the same time, Muni thinks that the American wants to buy the goats for a valuable price.

Finally, Muni goes home without his goats but with the money the American gave him. 

Meanwhile, the American waits for Muni to come back and help him load the statue into his car.

Personal thoughts:
This story amused me. It made me laugh due to the fact that there was miscommunication among Muni and the American. I would say that I kind of enjoyed the story, and it was also a story of one culture meeting another. I enjoyed this story a lot, and I'd say that this is the funniest one I've read. Not the best, but the funniest.

No comments:

Post a Comment