Saturday, December 1, 2012

At Hiruhama and The Sandpiper Literature Circles reflection

1: At Hiruhama

At Hiruhama is a short story, written by Penelope Fitzgerald.

It shows a story of Mr. Tanner. A successful lawyer who helped the family emigrate out of New Zealand.

Tanner embarks on a trip from England to New Zealand. Hoping to live a good life but instead, ending up living as a servant. 

He meets a woman named Kitty, who also ended up being a servant, and fall in love. They get married and they did some things behind close doors. 

Tanner's wife ends up being pregnant and then Tanner himself wonders how he will get proper medical help when his wife goes into labour one day.

My role: Discussion director

I managed my group discussion rather well for the first time. However, I was slightly ill-prepared which made me slightly regret taking the role. I promised my group that I would do better next time.

Honestly, I found this story rather boring, but I managed to pull through and visually understand the concept of the story. It is about how you can meet such a significant other at a place like where he was (Hiruhama). They were stranded together and they ended up as acquaintances to lovers. Which is a nice concept if you ask me. Still find it boring though.

I would recommend this short story if you have nothing to do. Or if you're into people getting stranded and ending up falling in love with each other. And yes, it's that boring.

2: The Sandpiper

Sandpiper, is another short story in the book, written by Ahdaf Soueif.

It is about a woman and her child. 

The story is also basically about the woman's relationship with her husband. And how she is visibly insecure and is shown to be an outcast in society. 

She recalls her feelings for her husband and how he has made an impact on her life.

However, their relationship falls apart but it is visibly shown that she still cares and have feelings for him.

She feels regretful as her husband allegedly lost his life during a plane crash some time ago.  

In the end, she realises that she has to move on and catch up with everyone else. 

Role: Illustrator

This story was not as boring as the previous short story. I actually liked it. The fact that the woman is a social outcast made me sort of relate to her as I was reading the book. I am generally a social outcast myself. But I digress! This is a good recommendation compared to the previous story. 




 



No comments:

Post a Comment